In preparation for taking ownership of your Plank NFT you will need a compatible crypto wallet capable of holding them. For this we recommend using MetaMask; The industry standard for interacting with Web3 sites, otherwise known as dApps. We also provide some extra tips to make sure your wallet and its contents remain secure.
Firstly, ensure that you have a supported device or browser for use with MetaMask. Currently MetaMask is supported on Android, iOS, Chrome, Brave, Firefox, and Edge. Once you’ve confirmed that you have a supported device or browser, visit https://MetaMask.io and click the “Download” button at the top right of the site. Alternatively if you are using a mobile device, download the MetaMask app from the Google Play Store or iOS App Store.
1. To Install in your browser, click “Add to Chrome” from the MetaMask extension page.
2. A pop up will appear asking you to confirm that you wish to install the MetaMask extension, click “Add Extension”
3. A new tab will open with a welcome message and a blue “Get Started” button, click on the blue “Get Started” button.
3a. If you already have a web3 wallet you’d like to import to MetaMask using a recovery phrase, you can do so at the next screen. If you are new to web3, click “Create a Wallet”.
4. The next step of the process is to create a password used to access your new MetaMask wallet. The minimum length is 8 digits. Be sure to use a strong password that you will be able to remember. It is a best practice to not write down your newly created password, and especially to never leave it written down near where you access MetaMask. Anyone with access to your device and password could conceivably access your wallet.
5. The next step is to record your recovery phrase. Click next when you’re ready, but first there are some things you’ll really want to know.
5a. We encourage you to watch this video (link to be provided soon) that explains the purpose of the 12-word recovery phrase. Be sure to watch the entire video, maybe even twice, or three times. In the event that you lose access to your wallet, the 12-word recovery phrase is the only thing that will be able to recover it.
6. The following screen will give you access to your 12-word recovery phrase. Click where you are prompted to reveal the words in order to copy them to your preferred secure storage. This could be written down and put in a safe, in a secure password manager, or even stamped into a metal plate meant for holding such data. These are available from several manufacturers and can be found on Amazon for $20-$100. Here is an example. Whatever you do DON’T LOSE THIS PHRASE!
6a. While you will have access to this phrase at a later time, should you want to copy it down a different way, be sure to write it down at this initial unveiling as computer/phone trouble can strike when you least expect it!
7. After writing down your phrase, click next. On this screen you’ll be prompted to select each of your seed phrase terms in the correct order. This is to verify that you have the information necessary to recover your wallet should you need to. Keep in mind that neither the Flote team, nor the MetaMask team can help you to recover your wallet or seed phrase.
8. Once you confirm your seed phrase, you will be presented with the All Done screen. Here you will see a few extra tips from the MetaMask team in regards to keeping your wallet safe. Take these tips to heart as they are very important! Click “All Done” when you are ready to proceed.
9. Now you’re all set up! You now have your very own crypto wallet. You can copy your address by clicking on it under the “Account 1” text near the top of the page. All MetaMask addresses start with “0x…”.
You are now ready to go grab a plank. Just copy and paste the address during checkout in the “Polygon Address” field. For more information on Polygon and how to activate this network in MetaMask see this tutorial. You only need your new address to mint yout NFTs, but you will need to connect to the Polygon Network to view them.
If you are installing MetaMask on a mobile device, the instructions are quite similar to the desktop browser extension instructions. We’ll keep it brief, but be sure to read the Desktop Browser instructions above for important tips.
1. Download the application from the Google Play or Apple App Stores.
2. After doing open the application and tap on “Get Started”
3. You’ll be prompted to either import an existing wallet, or to create a new wallet. If you have a recovery phrase for a web3 wallet you already use, it can be used to import the wallet. If not, click “Create a new wallet”.
4. The next step of the process is to create a password used to access your new wallet via MetaMask.
5. The next step is to record your recovery phrase. Click next when you’re ready, but first there are some things you’ll really want to know. See step 5a above if you haven’t already
6. The next screen will give you the risks and tips associated with the 12-word recovery phrase. Click “Start” again after reviewing. You may be prompted to enter your wallet password at this point.
7. You are now presented with your 12-word recovery phrase. Tap on the “View” button and click where you are prompted to review your recovery phrase.
7a. You will notice you are not able to take screenshots of these screens for security reasons, so you will need to write them down. Again, we suggest seeing our security tips in step 5a above.
8. Now, confirm your 12-word recovery phrase by tapping on the words in the order that they appeared in the initial unveiling. After confirming the words in the correct order, you will be presented with the option to click next.
9. Congratulations, you’re all set up! You now have access to your wallet via your mobile device. Tap your address under the “Account 1” text to copy it to your clipboard.
MORE ABOUT FLOTE
Visit us at flote.biz for more blog posts, at flotetoken.com to learn about our crypto and NFT initiatives and at flotefest.com to learn more about how to attend our IRL events. But most of all, come to joinflote.com and join our growing community of Flote members. We’ll see you there.